Saturday, August 21, 2010

First Days at Lugenda

I started at Lugenda Wilderness Camp, Niassa National Reserve Northern Mozambique, in May 2007. Must say big change from the safari's which are done in South Africa. I started off as a guide then, and I am still guiding, and enjoying it tremendously.
Having to learn your way around a vast area is always a challange!!! That is what I did, and with those first guests it was like a Stanley and Livingstone expedition. Roads were few and far between, so having to make do with what was there was great. Many days were spent walking and exploring these new areas and climbing up some of the inselbergs in the Ngolonge mountain range (this is the mountain range directly behind Lugenda Wilderness Camp), was always exciting stuff. Finding a Vaureuxes (Black) Eagle's nesting site on one of the cliff faces was a great find, and also it having a juvenile on the nest.
Well ,some years have past now, and this area is still as remote and wild as the first days I arrived. Carri has since joined me, and we are very fond of this area and of the Camp, which we are now managing.
We are unlimited on what we can do with our guests here at Lugenda, from the normal game drives and night drives to walking and canoeing safaris, late night drives after dinner, birding which is fantastic and camping out at our fly camp and exploring more of the Ngolonge mountain range. Our road network has improved somewhat, and still we keep finding new areas to explore, be it by foot or by car.

Well that is a small intoduction to this blog, so please keep watching this space for more on Bushlife here at Lugenda Wilderness Camp with me.

I will be posting photos from when I started in 2007, in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment